[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations...

Cesare Di Mauro cesare.di.mauro at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 20:09:11 CEST 2010

2010/7/23 stefan brunthaler <stefan at brunthaler.net>

> > This sounds like wpython (a CPython derivative with a wider set of byte
> code
> > commands) could benefit from it.
> >
> I am aware of the wpython project of Cesare di Mauro.

wpython has reached 1.1 final version. If you are interested, you can find
it here: http://code.google.com/p/wpython2/ and you can download the new
slides that cover the improvements over 1.0 alpha.

> I change the
> instruction format from bytecode to wordcode, too (because it allows
>  for more efficient instruction decoding).

Did you used wpython wordcode format, or a new one?

> Contrary to his approach,
> however, I do not change the instruction encoding to pack in
> additional optimizations. (I hope to have put that correctly; I have
>  seen his slides about a year ago.)

Yes, you're right. wpython approach is to encode as much information as it
can to save space, decoding time, "specialize" some opcodes, etc..

Cesare