[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations...

stefan brunthaler sbrunthaler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 15:36:56 CEST 2010

> The Springer link [1] at least shows the front page to give more of an
> idea as to what this is about.

Thanks, I forgot to mention the link.

> The idea does sound potentially interesting, although I'm not sure how
> applicable it will be with a full-blown LLVM-based JIT on the way for
> 3.3 (via Unladen Swallow).

Yeah, I see that. However, I think that a JIT compiler could very well
re-use the information gathered by using my techniques to generate
better code in the first run. There certainly are a couple of other
benefits for combining both approaches, i.e., they are not mutually
exclusive.

> Depending on the size and complexity of the
> patches, it may still be worth exploring for 3.2.

I am currently not aware of the planned release schedule, but I think
that some of the techniques could very well be released in 3.2 -- with
a conditional compilation target similar to the computed-goto feature.

Regards,
--stefan