[Python-Dev] Python Language Summit EuroPython 2010

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 19:21:17 CEST 2010

Thanks Tim !

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:

[..]

> Several people outlined the recent heated discussion over the addition
> of a checkbox to the PyPI user-registration pages. Tarek has already
> undertaken to patch PyPI to move the checkbox back one step, allowing
> existing distutils users to register from the command line.

Yes, so the problem goes away and we are conforming to the legal requirements.

> At the same
> time, Brett advised removing that functionality from distutils2 as
> signing up on a web page is no great hardship.

We will remove/simplify the register command, and get rid of that part.

In the meantime, to try to avoid this problem in the future, since
quite a few projects
depend on PyPI now, I would like to suggest that a PEP of the various
protocols PyPI has, is created.

We do have some documentation here and there about the XML-RPC
interface, the HTTP interface, etc., but we should have a single
document describing the PyPI APIs, and maybe adding an API version
number, so it can evolve smoothly.

This would also be helpful for the people that are writing their own
PyPI software, and ensure that distutils2 can work out of the box with
any PyPI server out there.

Tarek
--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org