[Python-Dev] Python Language Summit EuroPython 2010

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Wed Jul 21 18:47:49 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 17:11, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> The Mercurial migration should move forward once Dirkjan has finished work
> on his thesis. Martin insisted that a for-real repository would have to be
> set up so that people can really see how it would work. An outstanding issue
> in hg-svn prevents the Python history from being imported, but it should be
> fixable. Martin & Tim brought up the issue of externals which the buildbots
> use on Windows to bring in and build slightly patched versions of external
> libraries such as OpenSSL and sqlite3.

The issue in hgsubversion (which is different from hgsvn) has been
fixed. The current problem is some oddity in the SVN bindings where it
keeps complaining about having too many files open... I've been
troubleshooting this in my thesis downtime, but nothing definitive
yet. I'd like to hear more about where these externals are, so we can
look into fixing that. Recent Mercurial includes support for svn
subrepos, which might be usable for this.

I wonder if it's sensible to discuss the splitting of the interpreter
from the stdlib in separate repositories, because it might be better
to convert to separate repositories in one go (instead of splitting
out the stdlib later on). Not sure about this, but it would be useful
to discuss at least.

Cheers,

Dirkjan