[Python-Dev] What to do with languishing patches?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Jul 20 20:16:40 CEST 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:45:42 +0200, <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:

On 18/07/2010 23:17, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Maybe going off on a tangent, but I find it frustrating because you (plural)
>> can't find a given module on the issue tracker.  Say I'm looking for issues
>> relating to smtplib, all I can do is look in the title of the issue.  Have I
>> missed something, or is there a need to have subsections so that if Lib is
>> selected, you can then find the appropriate module?
>
> I don't think you missed anything and I would also find this feature
> useful.  For example, I recently took interest in datetime and pickle
> modules, but other than full text search, there was no way to find all
> issues related to either of these two modules.  The "Components" list
> is somewhat arbitrary with narrow components such as ctypes and broad
> components such a Lib.

When I suggested such a modules list on
<http://wiki.python.org/moin/DesiredTrackerFeatures>, R. David Murray
replied “This has been suggested and rejected a number of times on
python-dev” but I have been unable to find those discussions.

During the most recent discussion I can remember, I thought I remembered
Stephen Trumble saying that they'd tried that in xemacs and it really
hadn't worked very well.  Since he now says he thinks it's a good idea
(or more likely I misremembered what he said the first time), it sounds
like we should consider it again.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com