[Python-Dev] notifications form Hg to python-checkins

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 23:22:08 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
>> I was actually going to suggest something along those lines post
>> transition, since Hg will have an email address for everyone - leave
>> push notifications coming from the bot (so existing filters based on
>> the bot address keep working), but include the push author in the
>> reply-to field.
>
> IIRC, you can’t know who pushed without kludgy hackery. Also, the one to
> push is not necessarily the author of the commit(s). If that was just a
> braino and you meant setting the committer as reply-to, it seems a good
> idea.

No, I meant push. There's a separate discussion where it was pointed
out that publishing each commit as a separate email makes
python-checkins even chattier than it is already (this point came up
after Tarek pushed a distutils2 changeset containing ~100 separate
commits), so the suggestion was made to combine all commit
notifications for a given push into a single email. However, I don't
remember if that idea was suggested specifically to Dirkjan as a
change to the notification email. If not, I'm suggesting it now :)

Note that the current distutils2 emails to python-checkins already say
"Tarek Ziade pushed..." and then include the committer details inside
the email, and that's what we want - the developer pushing the change
into the central repository is always going to be one of the core
devs, but the original creator of the change set could have been
anyone.

Cheers,
Nick.