[Python-Dev] [Idle-dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library; Scherer Agreement

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Tue Jul 13 03:34:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 12 2010, Bruce Sherwood wrote:

> I don't recall that VIDLE has anything to do with running multiple IDLE
> copies.

Well, I stole the ephemeral port idea from him!

> What's in VIDLE is a lot of bug fixes and some improvements. For
> example, you can configure it to not require having to save a file,
> which makes it as easy to use for quick testing as the shell. Another
> improvement, of high importance for our physics students and other
> novice programmers, is to bring an error display forward. Many
> students fill the screen with the edit window and the error message
> could be hidden, leaving them puzzled as to why their program wasn't
> running. Stuff like that, all aimed at issues we had seen with a large
> population of science and engineering students.
>
> I'll say again that IDLE/VIDLE is an excellent environment for novices.
> Issues identified here about look and feel etc. have just not been of any
> importance in that context.

I'd like to get all that incorporated so you can go back to dealing
directly with us.  Your students are the people we want to reach!

> If you'll send me what you want from Scherer, I can contact him.

I'm copying our PSF Secretary/Administrator, Pat Campbell.  She can work
with you to get David Scherer's Contributor Agreement.  We really
appreciate your assistance with this, he's one of the last missing
agreements.

--
KBK