[Python-Dev] [Idle-dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 23:52:46 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>> Not normally, no - there's no easy way to connect a checkin message to
>> a committer's email address,
>
> There's a one-to-one mapping somewhere.

That "somewhere" isn't readily available when I hit reply to the
checkin email though (for me, "somewhere" is generally my python-dev
archive - I think the actual mapping file is a private one on the SVN
server somewhere).

>> so it's usually just a matter of hitting
>> "Reply" and sending the review comment to the list. With a new
>> committer I'll make the effort to cc them directly in case they aren't
>> subscribed yet, but I expect everyone else to be monitor the checkins
>> list.
>>

> Without contacting committers, rather than firing into the black depths of a
> high traffic list, I strongly suspect that much of the feedback is lost.

Not that I've noticed. If someone doesn't respond to a comment I've
made on python-checkins I'll follow up with them directly and point
out that monitoring python-checkins for responses after making a
commit is an obligation of making use of commit privileges, just as
much as of one as running (at least relevant parts of) the test suite
before committing and then checking the buildbots to see you haven't
broken anything on other platforms.

Cheers,
Nick.