[Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Mon Jul 12 10:06:38 CEST 2010

-On [20100712 08:26], Stephen Hansen (apt.shansen at gmail.com) wrote:
>But I, personally, would consider it a significant loss if IDLE went the way of
>the dodo or a third-party module.

Why would it be a significant loss if it went the way of a third party
module? Clearly right now it's not being maintained as well as the rest of
Python. Maybe that's a clear indicator that it's better maintained
externally instead of in the main tree.

And for what it is worth, I personally never used it beyond one time looking
at it in disgust and neither do I know Pythonistas around me that use it.
Bpython and ipython do get installed a lot though, even on Windows. And all
these people, no matter their proficiency in programming, use an editor or
IDE of some sort, but not IDLE.

So I would not mourn to see IDLE get moved out of the main repository as I
do not see the added value or benefit, not even for training (and since
you're going to set up a training environment anyway, it can only be
described as lazy if you are adamant on having it included in the base
distribution).

Just my EUR 0,02.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Born from the Dark, in the black Cloak of Night...