[Python-Dev] New regex module for 3.2?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 23:34:19 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:52 AM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I re-implemented the re module, adding new features and speed
> improvements. It's available at:
>
>    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex
>
> under the name "regex" so that it can be tried alongside "re".
>
> I'd be interested in any comments or feedback. How does it compare with
> "re" in terms of speed on real-world data? The benchmarks suggest it
> should be faster, or at worst comparable.
>
> How much interest would there be in putting it in Python 3.2?

The list of fixed bugs/new features is certainly impressive. How does
Python's test suite go if you drop it in place of the current "re"
module? (Ditto for test suites of major applications and frameworks
like Django, etc).

Off the top of my head, I would say that this won't have enough time
to bake properly for inclusion in 3.2, but if the potential benefits
and intended backwards compatibility are borne out by real world usage
and the code fares well under review then it may be a contender for
3.3. If the backwards compatibility isn't quite there (and can't be
improved), then adding it under a name other than "re" wouldn't be
impossible, but it would be a harder sell.

Cheers,
Nick.