[Python-Dev] Bazaar branches available (again) on Launchpad

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jan 20 05:50:36 CET 2010

Okay, last follow up on this and then I'm going to bed. :)

On Jan 20, 2010, at 03:29 PM, David Lyon wrote:

>> On Jan 19, 2010, at 08:09 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>
>> I'd be surprised if any of the big 3 DVCS developers would actually /want/
>> their stuff in the stdlib.
>
>If they ask, they'll get told they're motorbike-shedding. "It's better
>if their users ask". So here I am as a user doing things the 'right'
>way.

Actually, you're not.  It's not up to the Python community to initiate this.
If you really want this, you should engage with the relevant DVCS communities
and push them to request it.

>Side benefits are that it can update everything else along
>with it at the same time. User Apps, Packages, whatever.

I get that.  Heck, I still run one Gentoo server which I think is as close to
the edge you're describing as I'm comfortable with.  It's all great until the
wheels come off and then it can take *days* to get a functioning system
again.

The big difference is that I rely on my DVCS to keep one small thing, or a few
variants of the same thing, all sane.  But I rely on my distribution vendor to
keep a thousand complex, interdependent, interacting, sometimes conflicting
things sane and working.

>Point : The fact that SCMs are two way is great in
>        a production environment. No packaging solution
>        can come close.

Try talking with some hard-core operations guys, the folks with the keys to
the data centers, who work tireless, insanely hours keeping incredibly complex
systems running with very little downtime.  I think you'd get a different
perspective to put it mildly. :)

to-sleep-perchance-to-dream-ly y'rs,
-Barry