[Python-Dev] Mailing List archive corruption?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jan 19 17:44:21 CET 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 11:24 AM, James Y Knight wrote:

>No doubt, you've now broken every link anyone had ever made into the
>python-dev archives, because now all the article numbers are
>different. BTDT...unfortunately... Pipermail really is quite crappy,
>sigh.

I've been trying for 10+ years to get folks interested in helping me fix this
(and a few other warts) in Pipermail, to not much success. ;/

>Anyhow, when I did that, I went back to a backup to get the original
>article numbers, and edited the mbox file escaping From lines or
>adding additional empty messages until the newly regenerated article
>numbers matched the originals. I'd highly recommend going through that
>painful process, since I suspect a *lot* of people have links to the
>python-dev archive. Hope you have a backup (or can find caches on
>google or archive.org or something).

bin/cleanarch uses a set of heuristics to find unescaped From lines and fix
them.  It's generally pretty good, but it certain can change message numbers
(and sadly, their urls).

-Barry