[Python-Dev] Enhancing the shutil module

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:34:12 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
[..]
>>> Wouldn't it make more sense to put those "archive utils"
>>> functions/objects in a new module separate from shutil, dealing specifically
>>> with cross-archive APIs and linked from the current archive-specific modules
>>> (essentially, just take the current archive_util, move it to the toplevel of
>>> the stdlib and maybe rename it)? It would also make the module much easier
>>> to find when searching through the module listing, I think.
>>
>> +1
>>

> Proliferation of modules is itself a bad thing though.

I am with Michael here. I think having this function in shutil is the
right place.

For the find problem, I think docs.python.org is easy to search now,
as long as the shutil module documentation has an good set of examples
for this new API.

We could even add references in the tarfile, zipfile modules
documentation pointing to these examples.

Regards
Tarek
--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org