[Python-Dev] PYTHON3PATH

Ralf Schmitt ralf at brainbot.com
Wed Jan 13 21:52:34 CET 2010

Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:40, Ralf Schmitt <ralf at brainbot.com> wrote:
>> The first thing I got while trying to run a python3 prompt few days ago,
>> was an error. python3 tried to read my $PYTHONSTARTUP file, which used
>> print statements. people will have to run both python 2 and python 3
>> code at the same time. Using different environment variables will make
>> this easier.
>
> What do you need to do in the PYTHONSTARTUP file?
> Ten years of Python programming, and I didn't even know it existed. :-)

hehe. tab completion:

# -*- mode: python -*-
# Last changed: 2009-12-23 22:25:15 by ralf

import sys
import os

def initreadline():

    try:
        import readline
    except ImportError:
        sys.stdout.write("Module readline not available.\n")
        return

    import rlcompleter
    readline.parse_and_bind("tab: complete")

    # Use tab for completions
    readline.parse_and_bind('tab: complete')
    # This forces readline to automatically print the above list when tab
    # completion is set to 'complete'.
    readline.parse_and_bind('set show-all-if-ambiguous on')
    # Bindings for incremental searches in the history. These searches
    # use the string typed so far on the command line and search
    # anything in the previous input history containing them.
    readline.parse_and_bind('"\C-r": reverse-search-history')
    readline.parse_and_bind('"\C-s": forward-search-history')

    history = os.path.expanduser("~/.pyhistory")
    if os.path.exists(history):
        readline.read_history_file(history)

    import atexit
    atexit.register(lambda: readline.write_history_file(history))

initreadline()
del initreadline