[Python-Dev] PYTHON3PATH

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jan 13 18:31:39 CET 2010

Somehow the bug site doesn't load for me right now, but I'm -1 on
this. There are maybe a dozen PYTHON... variables -- we really
shouldn't try to add PYTHON3 variants for all of them.

Specifically for PYTHONPATH, I feel that its use is always a
short-time or localized hack, not something you set in your .profile
nd forget about it (forgetting about it inparticular often leads to
unnecessary debugging pain later). The better approaches are based on
site-packages, wrapper scripts, virtualenv, etc.

--Guido

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> Please review issue 2375 [1], which is an enhancement request to add a
> PYTHON3PATH environment variable.  Because we have elected to have both
> a python and a python3 command, I think this is an issue worth thinking
> about carefully to make sure we are serving the Python user community
> and easing the transition to python3.  It could be that "use virtualenv"
> is the best answer, but I feel we should think about it carefully to
> make sure that is really true.
>
> [1] http://bugs.python.org/issue2375
>
> --
> R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com
> Business Process Automation - Network/Server Management - Routers/Firewalls

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)