[Python-Dev] Fwd: Download Page - AMD64

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Jan 13 00:41:04 CET 2010

Michael Foord wrote:
> I presume the email below is about the Windows binary. Does the AMD64
> release work on intel 64bit and can we make the wording clearer on the
> download page?
>
> The current description is " Windows AMD64 binary".

The installer works on all AMD64 compatible Intel CPUs. *scnr*

As you most likely know all modern Intel 64bit CPUs are based on AMD's
x86-64 design. Only the Itanium family is based on the other Intel 64bit
design: IA-64. The name AMD64 was chosen because most Linux and BSD
distributions call it so. The name 'AMD64' has caused confusion in the
past because users thought that the installer works only on AMD CPUs.

How about:

 * Python 2.6.4 Windows X86-64 installer (Windows AMD64 / Intel 64 /
X86-64 binary -- does not include source)

instead of:

 * Python 2.6.4 Windows AMD64 installer (Windows AMD64 binary -- does
not include source)

?

Christia