[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 2.7 alpha 2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jan 12 22:56:55 CET 2010

> Maybe not, but the Distribute feature is there because IMO the
> distutils feature by itself isn't particularily useful. You need to
> write your own distutils extensions, in practice, and they are not
> trivial.

I wouldn't say that. My Django port works with bare distutils (as
does Django itself), and it works fine.

That distribute had to redo it is only because setuptools *replaces*
the build_py command, as does the 2to3 support in distutils. So only
if you have a different build_py already, you can't use what is in
distutils.

Regards,
Martin