[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 2.7 alpha 2

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Mon Jan 11 05:05:07 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 07:46:04PM -0800, Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 17:44, Neil Schemenauer <nas at arctrix.com> wrote:
> >     After the Python 2.7 release, the focus of Python development
> >     will be on Python 3.  There will continue to be maintainance
> >     releases of Python 2.x.
>
> No because that suggests new features will be coming to 2.x which is not
> going to happen. If you want to say there will be continual bugfix releases
> for 2.7 as is par the course for Python and that the number of bugfix
> releases might be more than normal then I am okay with that.

Are you are saying that if someone steps up to merge the Unladen
Swallow features into a 2.8 release and someone also steps up to cut
the release that they will be prevented from doing so?

Also, are you presuming to channel the BDFL or was this dicussed
somewhere other than python-dev? Maybe I'm overreacting but I get
the feeling that the larger and less active segment of the Python
develpment team hasn't been involved in these decisions.

Best regards,

  Neil