[Python-Dev] relation between Python.asdl and Tools/compiler/ast.txt

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jan 7 22:16:12 CET 2010

>> astgen.py is not used to process asdl files; ast.txt lives right
>> next to astgen.py. Instead, the asdl file is processed by
>> Parser/asdl_c.py.
>
> Yes, I know that. That's why I asked about the relation between
> ast.txt and Python.adsl. If internally the parser uses the .adsl, but
> expose as a reflection mechanism things that were generated from
> ast.txt, then there could be a mismatch. Where does ast.txt comes
> from ? Shouldn't it be generated itself from Python.adsl ?

What you may not be aware of is that Tools/compiler (and the
compiler package that it builds on) are both unused and unmaintained.

If the package stops working correctly - tough luck.

> So we would have
>
> Python.adsl ----????----> ast.txt ---- astgen.py --->  ast.py
> containing all the UnarySub, Expression, classes that represents a
> Python AST.

No - what actually happens in Python 3.x is this: both the compiler
package and Tools/compiler are removed.

Regards,
Martin