No subject

Mon Jan 18 10:37:10 CET 2010

Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:02:01AM +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> [...] would it still be ok if I closed a 2.x feature request as
>> "won't fix", or only committed the new feature to the 3.x branch?
>
> Yes.  Non-bugfix development on 2.x would optional (i.e. done by
> people who want to spend the time).

I think *that* would give a very bad impression of Python. Depending
whom you deal with, the new feature you want may or may not get
added to the code base. Contributors would feel even more stranded
than they do now, where it may take several years to get a patch
reviewed, as you then could submit a patch, and pray that a comitter
reviews it who believes in future 2.x releases.

The point of setting policies is that it gives every user (contributors,
committers, and "end-user" developers) a reliable foundation for
expectations.

Regards,
Martin