[Python-Dev] Update xml.etree.ElementTree for Python 2.7 and 3.2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Feb 20 13:03:08 CET 2010

> The last commits by Fredrik to ElementTree in Python SVN that I can
> see are dated 2006-08-16. The last commits I can see to ElementTree at
> http://svn.effbot.python-hosting.com/ are dated 2006-07-05.

And?

> To paraphrase Antoine's comment [1] on Rietveld -- we need a process
> that results in bug fixes for users of the copy of ElementTree in
> Python.
>
> [1] http://codereview.appspot.com/207048/show (most direct link I could find)

To quote Fredrik Lundh from the same reviews:

# You do realize that you're merging in an experimental release, right?
# I'm a bit worried that the result of this effort will be plenty of
# incompatibilities with the upstream library (and there are also signs
# on bugs.python.org that some people involved don't understand the
# difference between specification of a portable API and artifacts of a
# certain implementation of the same API), but I'm travelling right now,
# and have no bandwidth to deal with this.  Just be careful.

# Since you've effectively hijacked the library, and have created your
# own fork that's not fully compatible with any formal release of the
# upstream library, and am not contributing any patches back to
# upstream, I suggest renaming it instead.

This may be politely phrased, but it seems that he is quite upset about
these proposed changes.

I'd rather drop ElementTree from the standard library than fork it.

Regards,
Martin