[Python-Dev] Update xml.etree.ElementTree for Python 2.7 and 3.2

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Feb 19 17:35:04 CET 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 06:40:00 +0100, <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, it's not. I strongly object to any substantial change to
> >> the code base without explicit approval by Fredrik Lundh.
> >
> > Which most probably puts elementtree in bugfix-only mode. I don't
> > necessarily disagree with such a decision, but it must be quite clear.
>
> My point is that the decision as already made when ElementTree was
> incorporated into the standard library; it's the same policy for most
> code that Fredrik Lundh has contributed (and which he still maintains
> outside the standard library as well). He has made it fairly clear on
> several occasions that this is how he expects things to work, and unless
> we want to truly fork the code, we should comply.

Guido has already pretty much answered this concern, but for the
bystanders, note that as I understand it the patch actually brings the
standard library code in sync with Fredrick's codebase, so it is actually
less of a fork than continuing to do our own bug fixes would be.  And
Frederick has commented on the patch on Reitveld.

--David