[Python-Dev] Add UTC to 2.7 (PyCon sprint idea)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Feb 18 03:48:00 CET 2010

On 17 February 2010 23:01, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 23:46,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> >    Lennart> The timezone database is updated several times per year. You
> >    Lennart> can *not* include it in the standard library.
> >
> > My guess is the data are updated several times per year, not the code.
>  Can
> > they not be separated?
>
> Yes, but that would mean we have an implementation in stdlib that
> relies on a dataset which may not exist. That is just going to be
> confusing. Moving pytz into the stdlib doesn't solve anything, really.
> So why do it? It's not like pytz is hard to install.

Some of the Linux distributions *already* patch pytz to use the system
information, which they keep updated separately. That information is also
available from the system on Mac OS and Windows. It would seem to be very
useful to have a version of pytz that defaults to using the system
information if available, has a mechanism for using separate data for
systems that don't provide the information or raises an error when neither
system information nor separate data is available.

The data could then still be available and released regularly without being
tied to the Python release schedule. That assumes that the author of pytz
*wants* it to come into the standard library of course.

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/