[Python-Dev] PEP 385 progress report

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Fri Feb 12 09:39:07 CET 2010

Am 09.02.2010 04:39, schrieb "Martin v. Löwis":
> Benjamin Peterson wrote:
>>> Got any particular projects in mind?
>>
>> 2to3.
>
> Does Mercurial even support merge tracking the way we are doing it for
> 2to3 right now?

No, it does not.  This is also a concern for the Python 2 -> Python 3 merging,
where (I think) we decided not to have shared history.  Transplant already
does most of the job (including recording the source hash of transplanted
changesets), but it lacks blocking and consistent rejection of already-merged
changesets (it does not read the source hashes it records, but keeps a local
cache of such hashes instead, which obviously doesn't do anything across
repositories.)  I think it should be possible to have transplant regenerate
and update that cache automatically on clone/pull/etc.

I guess this is a relatively simple task for a Mercurial hacker, and if it's
decided to use this workflow "someone" ;) could address it at the PyCon sprint.

Georg