[Python-Dev] setUpClass and setUpModule in unittest

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:56:30 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> writes:
>
>> I've used unittest for long running functional and integration tests
>> (in both desktop and web applications). The infrastructure it provides
>> is great for this. Don't get hung up on the fact that it is called
>> unittest. In fact for many users the biggest reason it isn't suitable
>> for tests like these is the lack of shared fixture support - which is
>> why the other Python test frameworks provide them and we are going to
>> bring it into unittest.
>
> I would argue that one of the things that makes ‘unittest’ good is that
> it makes it difficult to do the wrong thing — or at least *this* wrong
> thing. Fixtures persist for the lifetime of a single test case, and no
> more; that's the way unit tests should work.
>
> Making the distinction clearer by using a different API (and *not*
> extending the ‘unittest’ API) seems to be the right way to go.

If that means that development should be focused on including
mechanisms to make unittest more extensible instead of complicating
the current «relatively simple» API , then I agree . I think about
unittest as a framework for writing test cases; but OTOH as a
meta-framework to be used as the basic building blocks to build or
integrate third-party testing infrastructures (and that includes
third-party packages ;o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Free milestone ranch Download - mac software  -
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TracGViz-full/~3/rX6_RmRWThE/