[Python-Dev] Backport troubles with mercurial

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Dec 30 22:05:52 CET 2010

Am 30.12.2010 19:31, schrieb "Martin v. Löwis":

>> But using the adapted workflow simply requires learning new names for
>> old operations.  Annoying, but it will make a fair number of core devs
>> quite happy.
>
> I think the new workflow will simply result in (even) less care for the
> maintenance branches than currently. Some people just refuse to
> patch multiple branches, and will continue to do so. While it was
> previously possible to backport, it won't be that easy anymore in
> the future, so it just won't be done.

I refuse to believe that we cannot make our committers (in particular the active
ones, which is quite a small percentage) follow such simple rules, especially
when they have to learn a new VCS anyway...

Also, it's not really necessary for everyone to merge every change from
maintenance to trunk: a) they can do multiple commits on the same
subject and merge once, and b) if the change is small and no problems can
be expected from merging, merging can also be done by others, just like
the mass merging we had once from trunk -> py3k (just more convenient for
the one doing the merge).

Georg