[Python-Dev] Issue #10348: concurrent.futures doesn't work on BSD

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 29 23:24:32 CET 2010

> I don't have a good suggestion (or a computer with a keyboard
> anywhere near me) right now, but making a migration/fallback to SYSV
> style semaphores a release blocker seems like a mistake to me.

And indeed, I don't propose to make that a release blocker. Instead,
I propose to disable support for the module (either multiprocessing
or concurrent.futures only) on FreeBSD, and make such disabling a
release blocker.

> I would document the limitation in the futures/multiprocessing
> documentation, and skip that particular test for now on FreeBSD.

Just skipping the test case seems inappropriate, when it really
tests the core functionality of the module in question. The failing
test really means that the module does not work on the system.

> FreeBSDs limitations seem arbitrary, but I'm not a FBSD expert. This
> isn't a bug in either futures or multiprocessing though.

I don't claim that it's a bug. I claim that FreeBSD is just not
supported (saying that FreeBSD doesn't support the multiprocessing
module might be more appropriate).

Somebody will have to correctly fix it - either the FreeBSD people,
or the multiprocessing authors, or the concurrent.future authors.
Meanwhile, we must admit that it just doesn't work (or else the
test case would not fail).

Regards,
Martin