[Python-Dev] r87445 - python/branches/py3k/Lib/numbers.py

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Thu Dec 23 22:09:15 CET 2010

Le 23/12/2010 20:55, Antoine Pitrou a écrit :
>>      def __index__(self):
>> -        """index(self)"""
>> +        """someobject[self]"""
>
> This is misleading as to what the method actually does,
Really?  Unless I misunderstood the docs, __index__ is used when the
object is used as an index (or with bin or oct, but I didn’t want to
complicate the docstring, just fix it).

On IRC, R. David Murray said that I could just have deleted the
docstring.  I agree with that: I think magic methods never need a
docstring, since they’re documented once and for all in the language
reference.  (__init__ is not an exception: its parameters can be
documented in the class docstring.)

> as you can read in the implementation:
>>          return int(self)
The fact that __index__ is implemented thanks to int/__int__ here is a
detail IMO.

Regards