[Python-Dev] Fault handler updated, now disabled by default

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Dec 23 21:59:40 CET 2010

Am 23.12.2010 19:23, schrieb "Martin v. Löwis":
>> The fault handler is disabled by default and it is clearly separated
>> (eg. it doesn't touch the API of a module). Can't you make an exception
>> for this new feature?
>
> Ultimately, it's for the release manager to decide, so I don't need to
> make an exception. However, I think that special cases aren't special
> enough to break the rules. I still wish that the beta releases had been
> deferred until after the Mercurial switchover, but alas, the release
> manager has decided otherwise - explicitly pointing out that the
> rationale for releasing beta 1 was to stop accepting new features.

The main rationale was that the Mercurial switchover is not a fixed target
and depends very much on volunteer effort, so in effect this would have
been akin to deferring 3.2 for an indefinite period.

> The motivation for freezing features before feature releases is not
> so much that existing applications may be affected by API changes
> (3.2 will change APIs, anyway, and users fully expect to need some
> porting), but that the features that are about to be released need
> some time for testing. This specific feature has seen very little
> testing. Giving it a full release cycle (i.e. until 3.3) would
> somewhat reduce the need for a more careful code review.

Exactly.  I did say I like the feature, but that was a) before beta 2
was released, now the next release is a release candidate, and b) this
thread showed that it is not at all obvious how the feature should look
like.  The fact that it isn't enabled by default also makes it seem less
attractive to me, but I understand the reasons why it shouldn't be on by
default.  Therefore, I'm not willing to make an exception here.

Georg