[Python-Dev] Search-friendly shortcuts for Windows?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Dec 21 06:45:07 CET 2010

On 12/20/2010 8:38 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Given the changing dynamics of the desktop launch menus to better
> support direct access as an alternative to hierarchical navigation,
> would it be reasonable to consider including the major version number
> in the start menu shortcut names?

I would very much like that. I once changed some the entries but bugfix
or later alpha/beta/gamma/final installation reset everything.

> (Question is mainly for Martin, obviously, but I'm also curious if
> anyone else has encountered the same thing)

Now that I have multiple versions of Python installed (for development
testing), I have *three* identical 'IDLE (Python GUI)' entries in the
left-hand frequently-used programs column of the Start panel. This is
really useless and therefore a waste of space.

--
Terry Jan Reedy