[Python-Dev] Issue #8863 adds a new PYTHONNOFAULTHANDLER environment variable

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Dec 19 20:20:22 CET 2010

Le dimanche 19 décembre 2010 à 19:53 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" a écrit :
> >> This is also what I think. Installing a signal handler is a fairly
> >> drastic action, and I don't think the code has been sufficiently
> >> reviewed yet.
> >
> > How much more review should it receive?
>
> There should be at least one reviewer with an established track record
> of being interested/knowledgable in the POSIX APIs and cross-platform
> aspects of it.
> As I said, any of the Twisted guys would qualify.

James Knight already posted in this thread. Is this sufficient to you?

I don't think it's reasonable to expect "the Twisted guys" (whoever they
are...) to come and review our code, while they struggle with their own
bug queue. It would certainly be beneficial for the stdlib to get as
much review attention as you are asking for this patch, but it is also
totally impractical to expect such a level of attention from a community
of volunteers.

If we aren't knowledgeable enough to maintain signal handling code, then
we should simply remove the signal module from the stdlib (with an
appropriate deprecation period, that is) and let interested people
maintain it as a third-party module. That would also close some
lingering issues in the tracker, and free up some of our time.

> > Well, Python already does (and also apparently messes with other things
> > such as FPU state), so that's a separate issue altogether.
>
> Not at all. Some signal handlers are more likely to interfere with the
> the rest of the application than others.

Can you clarify why you think those signal handlers fall into that
description? After all, SIGINT, SIGILL and friends only get triggered in
catastrophic conditions.

Thanks

Antoine.