[Python-Dev] Locale-specific formatting

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Dec 19 00:21:24 CET 2010

On 12/18/2010 10:33 AM, Oleg Broytman wrote:

>     This is quite a known problem, not specific to Python. Locale
> settings are global for a process, and this is one of the thousands
> reasons why locale is considered so horrible.
>     ICU is perhaps the only way around the problem.

This is about the third mention of 'ICU' in the last few weeks, so I
looked it up: International Components for Unicode
http://site.icu-project.org/
Several libraries (C/C++,Java), including prebuilt binaries for Windows
(and some others).
There is already a Python .cpp wrapper (but no Windows binaries, which
limits usefulness)
http://pyicu.osafoundation.org/
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyICU/1.0.1

--