[Python-Dev] r87389 - in python/branches/py3k: Doc/library/unittest.rst Lib/unittest/case.py Misc/NEWS

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 18 23:46:23 CET 2010

On 12/18/2010 3:48 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:00:04 +0100 (CET)
> ezio.melotti<python-checkins at python.org>  wrote:
>> Author: ezio.melotti
>> Date: Sat Dec 18 21:00:04 2010
>> New Revision: 87389
>>
>> Log:
>> #10573: use actual/expected consistently in unittest methods.

Change was requested by M. Foord and R. Hettinger (and G.Brandl for b2).

> IMHO, this should be reverted. The API currently doesn't treat these
> arguments differently, so they should really be labeled "first" and
> "second". Otherwise, the user will wrongly assume that the signature is
> asymmetric and that they should be careful about which order they pass
> the arguments in.

The error report on assert failure *is* often asymmetrical ;=).
 From Michael's post:
"This is particularly relevant for the methods that produce 'diffed'
output on failure - as the order determines whether mismatched items are
missing from the expected or additional to the expected."

This change struck me as a nice bit of polishing.

--
Terry Jan Reedy