[Python-Dev] Issue #8863 adds a new PYTHONNOFAULTHANDLER environment variable

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Sat Dec 18 14:57:12 CET 2010

Le 18/12/2010 13:21, Georg Brandl a écrit :
> I very much like having a traceback on (some) segmentation faults,
Why do you say "some" segmentation faults?
> but it's clear there needs to be a way to turn it off.  An environment variable
> seems to be the obvious choice (for the reasons you stated for
> PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE).
Amaury proposed a new function sys.setsegfaultenabled(). Such function
can be used in a customized site module. I think that I will implement
it in my next patch, before commiting the new feature. I suppose that we
also need a function to get the status of the fault handler.

I just don't like the name. I would prefer sys.setfaulthandlerenabled(),
I maybe just sys.setfaulthandler(). As this feature is specific to
CPython, should it be protected function? So:
  * sys._setfaulthandler(bool): enable/disable the fault handler
  * sys._getfaulthandler()->bool: get the status (enabled/disabled) of
the fault handler

Victor