[Python-Dev] Remove HTTP 0.9 support

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Dec 16 15:23:05 CET 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:42:08 +0100
André Malo <nd at perlig.de> wrote:
> * Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to remove HTTP 0.9 support from http.client and
> > http.server. I've opened an issue at http://bugs.python.org/issue10711
> > for that. Would anyone think it's a bad idea?
> >
> > (HTTP 1.0 was devised in 1996)
>
> HTTP/0.9 support is still recommended (RFC 2616 is from 1999, but still
> current).
>
> I'm wondering, why you would consider touching that at all. Is it broken?
> Does it stand in the way of anything? If not, why throw away a feature?

Well, it complicates maintenance and makes fixing issues such as
http://bugs.python.org/issue6791 less likely.

Note that the patch still accepts servers and clients which advertise
themselves as 0.9 (using "HTTP/0.9" as a version string). It just
removes support for the style of "simple response" without headers that
0.9 allowed.

Regards

Antoine.