[Python-Dev] API for the new sysconfig module

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Dec 12 14:42:31 CET 2010

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 13:01:42 +0100
Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:

> Wiadomość napisana przez Raymond Hettinger w dniu 2010-12-11, o godz. 22:18:
>
> >> *(I sometimes lose track of which changes were made in both branches
> >> pre-2.7, which ones were mode post-2.7 release, and which ones went in
> >> pre-2.7, but were 3.x only regardless)
> >
> > Right.  I missed that it was already in 2.7.
> > So, now we're stuck with it, forever.
>
> Why not deprecate it for 3.2 (easy since it's probably not yet used anywhere anyway, even in 2.7) and introduce sys.sysconfig.

We already had a lot of churn around these APIs (distutils & friends). I
don't think it's a good idea to introduce even more churn.
Oh and by the way it's too late to add or remove features from 3.2.

> I really like that much better than Java-like accessor functions.

Do you actually use sysconfig yourself? It's quite a specialized
module, and I don't think API elegance arguments have a great weight
here.

Regards

Antoine.