[Python-Dev] futures API

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Dec 12 02:22:43 CET 2010

Brian Quinlan wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2010, at 6:44 AM, Thomas Nagy wrote:

>> I have also observed a minor performance degradation with the executor
>> replacement (3 seconds for 5000 work items). The amount of work items
>> processed by unit of time does not seem to be a straight line:
>> http://www.freehackers.org/~tnagy/runtime_futures_2.png .
>
> That looks pretty linear to me.

Close to, but not quite. The graph seems to be slightly curved, with the
amount of work done per second decreasing for large amounts of work.
Assuming that this performance degradation is real, and not an artifact
of the measurement technique, it seems to be quite small. I'd be happy
to describe it as "linear" in the same way we describe dictionary
lookups as constant-time, even though technically that's not strictly
true. (They're linear in the number of items with a matching hash, and
there are probably other complications as well.)

As drawn, the curve seems to fall away like a log graph, which might
suggest to the casual viewer that this is a good thing. It may be better
to reverse the axes, that is to have the independent variable, number of
tasks, on the horizontal axis, and the dependent variable, cost (time
taken), vertically. This will make it clear that the incremental cost of
doing one extra task increases (slightly) as the number of tasks goes up.

--
Steven