[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 11:51:53 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Actually if we're to change things to print INFO to stdout and WARNING+ to
> stderr,

I suspect our messages crossed paths in mid-stream, but I actually
realised I was wrong on that front - the behaviour already provided by
logging.basicConfig is the better way to go. The missing piece in the
story of "how do I create X kind of output" is plain old vanilla print
statements and similar direct writes to sys.stdout. The logging module
is a tool to track what is happening in a program, not a tool for
providing a console based UI.

Cheers,
Nick.