[Python-Dev] Using logging in the stdlib and its unit tests

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Dec 10 17:01:10 CET 2010

Oleg Broytman writes:

 >    Better yet (IMHO) would be to split the huge page into "Logging: Simple
 > start" and "Logging: Advanced usage (for the brave of of heart)".

Splitting is OK, but I disagree about the gloss "for the brave of
heart".

In my experience, if it is a YAGNI, the complexity is nearly
impenetrable.  If you *do* need it, it's not at all difficult to
understand what the complexity is for, and it doesn't even look all
that complex because it matches up with the problem you need to solve.

If the documentation is still a deterrent, that's a problem with the
documentation and it should be improved.  AFAICT, making it clear that
exporting all the internal flexibility is for those who need it, while
most users will rarely need it, should be enough.  But I'm not a good
test case, since I already am familiar with XEmacs's similar system.