[Python-Dev] The fate of transform() and untransform() methods

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:06:46 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
..
>> The ticket that introduced the change is
>> currently closed [3] even though the last message suggests that at
>> least part of the change needs to be reverted.
>
> That's for Guido to decide.

The decision will probably rest with the release manager, but Guido
has clearly voiced his opinion.  Note that I deliberately removed the
codecs part form the subject, so that we can focus on the fate of
{str,bytes,bytearray}.{transform,untransform} methods.  I don't see
any dispute about the fact that adding these methods breaks the
moratorium or any suggestion that a case-by-case exception has been
approved for this particular case.  I don't think there is an option
to keep these methods.  The two available options are:

1. Revert  r86934.
2. Revert C code changes, but keep the codecs and remove references to
transform/untransform from documentation.