[Python-Dev] The fate of transform() and untransform() methods

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Dec 9 16:13:36 CET 2010

On 09/12/2010 15:03, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Guido van Rossum<guido at python.org>  wrote:
>>> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 9:58 AM, R. David Murray<rdmurray at bitdance.com>  wrote:
>> ..
>>> It is not.
>>>
>>> The moratorium is intended to freeze the state of the language as
>>> implemented, not whatever was discussed and approved but didn't get
>>> implemented (that'd be a hole big enough to drive a truck through, as
>>> the saying goes :-).
>>>
>>> Regardless of what I or others may have said before, I am not
>>> currently a fan of adding transform() to either str or bytes.
>>>
>> I would like to restart the discussion under a separate subject
>> because the original thread [1] went off the specific topic of the six
>> new methods (2 methods x 3 types) added to builtins shortly before 3.2
>> beta was released. [2]  The ticket that introduced the change is
>> currently closed [3] even though the last message suggests that at
>> least part of the change needs to be reverted.
> That's for Guido to decide.

Well, Guido *already* said no to transform / untransform in the previous
thread.

Michael

--

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.