[Python-Dev] Repo frozen for 3.2

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Dec 7 03:30:08 CET 2010

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 13:02:41 -0800, Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Fred Drake wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Raymond Hettinger
> > <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> We really ought to stop with the SafeFoo naming convention.
> >> It is only descriptive to the person who wrote the class or function,
> >> not to the user who will immediately wonder, "safe from what?"
> >
> > Safe from bad vampire movies, of course!
> >
> > I'd not recognize the current Safe* class names as a pattern; there
> > are currently two in the py3k trunk:
> >
> >    configparser.SafeConfigParser
> >        -- very much a poor name
> >
> >    xmlrpc.client.SafeTransport
> >        -- perhaps should have been SSLTransport or HTTPSTransport
> >
> > I agree the "Safe" prefix isn't meaningful.
>
> IIRC, pprint has a safe_repr() and string.Template has safe_substitute()
> and pydoc has a safe import.
>
> Never new there was so much danger in the standard library :-)

unittest has an (internal) safe_repr, too.  I understand all four
of these to be "versions of xxx that won't raise".  I think that's
a reasonable use of the word 'safe', but perhaps there is something
better.

SafeConfigParser doesn't follow that pattern, of course, though it
is perhaps true that it would raise errors a bit less often... :)

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com