[Python-Dev] Repo frozen for 3.2

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 20:21:28 CET 2010

On Dec 5, 2010, at 3:36 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:

> I've just been notified via being added to the nosy list of
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue10627
>
> about the deprecation of ConfigParser for 3.2. I presume I was added to this
> list because logging.config uses ConfigParser, but logging.config doesn't use
> any interpolation features so I could easily change all usages to
> SafeConfigParser; should I do it now (before the 3.2 beta is cut) or hold off
> for now?

+1 for doing the update now.   There's no advantage in continuing to use
the old ConfigParser.

With respect to beta feature freeze, that should really just mean not adding
prominent new major features.  We're still free to implement bug fixes,
make the language more consistent, propagate the existing changes
(such as SafeConfigParser), tweak any of the new APIs, and reconsider or
rework some of the new features (such as transform/untransform).

Raymond

P.S.  We really ought to stop with the SafeFoo naming convention.
It is only descriptive to the person who wrote the class or function,
not to the user who will immediately wonder, "safe from what?"
Safe can mean "sanitized", "won't raise an error", "has a default value",
"doesn't use eval/exec", "is secure", "has a known encoding", etc.