[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Dec 3 03:27:45 CET 2010

Lennart Regebro writes:
 > 2010/12/2 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:

 > > T1000 = float('一.◯◯◯')
 >
 > That was already discussed here, and it's clear that unicode does not
 > consider these characters to be something you can use in a decimal
 > number, and hence it's not broken.

Huh?  IOW, use Unicode features just because they're there, what the
users want and use doesn't matter?

The only evidence I've seen so far that this feature is anything but a
a toy for a small faction of developers is Neil Hodgson's information
that OOo will generate these kinds of digits (note that it *will* do
Han! so the evidence is as good for users demanding Han numerals as
for any other kind, Unicode.org definitions notwithstanding), and that
DOS CP 864 contains the Indo/Arabic versions.

Of course, it's quite possible that those were toys for the developers
of those software packages too.