[Python-Dev] PEP 384 accepted

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 3 00:01:52 CET 2010

> I think distutils is simply a bugfix branch for distutils2. Similarly
> as how we don't commit improvements in e.g. 2.7 or 3.1, neither do we
> commit improvements to distutils.

It's different, though, in the sense that Python has a release schedule
and multiple committers working on it, and that it normally gets
released even if some changes don't get included in a specific release
yet.

All this seems not to be true for distutils2. So my motivation to
contribute changes to it is *much* lower than my desire to contribute
to distutils, and it is also provably lower than my motivation to
contribute to distribute (say). I'm just getting tired having to talk to
five projects just to make a single change to the build infrastructure
available to the Python community.

Regards,
Martin