[Python-Dev] PEP 384 accepted

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:33:24 CET 2010

2010/12/2 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:

>> So the question still stands: "Why not implementing this in Distutils2 ?"
>
> Because it then wouldn't be available in Python 3.2, which is the target
> release of the PEP.

The exact feature I am mentioning is the ability to compile extensions
with new options, so I am not sure which PEP is involved since
distutils changes refer to PEP 384 in the other PEP.

I was told not to touch to Distutils code to avoid any regression
since it's patched to the bones in third party products. So we decided
to freeze distutils and add all new features in Distutils2, which is
at alpha stage now.  So this move seems contradictory to me.

Grouping all new features in the new version and keep Distutils1 in
maintenance mode seems to make more sense to me, if we want to make
Distutils die and push forward Distutils2 for its new features etc. Or
we might get back into backward hell again :)

So, I am +1 on a patch on distutils2 and -1 on de-freezing Distutils
for any new feature.

> If that really causes too much pain, I'll refrain from making any
> changes to distutils; PEP 384 doesn't specify any changes, anyway.

That would be awesome, and we can work on a patch for distutils2 to
provide that abi option.

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org