[Python-Dev] ICU

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Dec 2 16:47:08 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, about ICU:

>>> By that, I stand - however, I have given up the hope that this will
>>> happen anytime soon.
>>
>> Perhaps this could be made a GSOC topic.
>>

> Incidentally, this may also address another Python's Achilles' heel:
> the timezone support.
>
> http://icu-project.org/download/icutzu.html

I work with people who speak highly of ICU, so I want to encourage
work in this area.

At the same time, I'm skeptical -- IIRC, ICU is a large amount of C++
code. I don't know how easy it will be to integrate this into our
build processes for various platforms, nor how "Pythonic" the
resulting APIs will look to the experienced Python user.

Still, those are not roadblocks, the benefits are potentially great,
so it's definitely worth investigating!

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)