[Python-Dev] Python and the Unicode Character Database

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Dec 2 03:01:29 CET 2010

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> Furthermore, he provided good *objective* reason (excessive cost, to
> which I can also testify, in several different input methods for
> Japanese) why numbers simply would not be input that way.
>
> What's left is copy/paste via the mouse.

For direct entry by an interactive user, yes. Why are some people in
this discussion thinking only of direct entry by an interactive user?

Input to a program comes from various sources other than direct entry by
the interactive user, as has been pointed out many times.

> Please, give us just *one* more real use case that isn't "somebody
> might".

Input from an existing text file, as I said earlier. Or any other way of
text data making its way into a Python program.

Direct entry at the console is a red herring.

--
 \       “First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” —The |
  `\                                              Doctor, _Doctor Who_ |