[Python-Dev] Porting Ideas

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Dec 2 02:17:43 CET 2010

On 01/12/2010 19:17, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:02:00 -0600
> Brian Curtin<brian.curtin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:51, Prashant Kumar<contactprashantat at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone. My name is Prashant. I and my friend Zubin recently
>>> ported 'Configobj'. It would be great if somebody can suggest about
>>> any utilities or scripts that are being widely used and need to be
>>> ported.
>> http://onpython3yet.com/ might be helpful to you. It orders the projects on
>> PyPI with the most dependencies which are not yet ported to 3.x.
> I don't know who did that page but it seems like there's some FUD there.
>
> simplejson, ctypes, pysqlite and others are available in the 3.x
> stdlib. Mercurial is a command-line tool and doesn't need to be ported
> to be used for Python 3 projects. setuptools is supplanted by
> distribute which should Python 3 compatible.
>
> And I'm not sure what this package called "Python" is (“a high-level
> object-oriented programming language”? like Java?), but I'm pretty sure
> I've heard there's a Python 3 compatible version.
>
> (granted, it's probably less FUD than stupid automation)

 From what I can tell it simply looks at dependencies and availability
of those dependencies with a "Python 3" trove classification. Some
manual filtering may well be useful.

It is well *possible* that there are packages with a runtime dependency
on libraries in mercurial however. Those would need mercurial porting to
Python 3 if they are to run on Python 3. If they simply shell out to
mercurial that wouldn't be the case.

Michael

> Regards
>
> Antoine.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.