[Python-Dev] Internal counter to debug leaking file descriptors

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Aug 31 19:40:31 CEST 2010

On 05:22 pm, glyph at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

>On Aug 31, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>On Linux you can look somewhere in /proc, but I don't know that it
>>would help you find where a file was opened.
>
>"/dev/fd" is actually a somewhat portable way of getting this
>information.  I don't think it's part of a standard, but on Linux it's
>usually a symlink to "/proc/self/fd", and it's available on MacOS and
>most BSDs (based on a hasty and completely-not-comprehensive
>investigation).  But it won't help you find out when the FDs were
>originally opened, no.

On OS X and Solaris, dtrace and ustack will tell you exactly when and
where the FDs were originally opened, though.  On Linux, SystemTap might
give you the same information (but I know much less about SystemTap).
If http://bugs.python.org/issue4111 is resolved, then this may even be
possible without using a patched version of Python.

Jean-Paul